The idea of a second chapter of Beta Theta Pi was discussed on March 11th, 1840 in Miami. Ultimately, the delegation of Henry Snow (President), Stephen Gano (Secretary), Henry Beard, and Louis Harvey were initiated and founded the Beta Prime chapter in 1840.
Due to a waning interest and waning attendance, the last meeting of the Beta Prime Chapter was held on November 2, 1844.
On August 10th, 1871, after a long period of inactivity in Cincinnati, the Epsilon Alumni Chapter was formed. The Alumni chapter had meetings like that of an undergraduate chapter, but was more concerned with expansions and preparations for annual conventions, more so than day-to-day operations. The chapter hosted the 40th convention in 1879 and did not do many things until they formed a dispensation in 1888 to try to secure a charter for the Cincinnati campus.
The dispensation petitioned at the 1889 convention for a charter and after receiving approval came back to Cincinnati’s campus on May 30th, 1890. 16 new founding fathers helped to restart the chapter and the chapter flourished for many years, including the buying of the current house in the 1920’s and expanding upon it in the 1960’s.
Fun Fact: 240 Beta Nu actives and alumni fought in World War II.
The chapter functioned well until we were closed and reorganized in 2001 under the Men of Principle Initiative, due to hazing, drug abuse, and poor conduct in the 90’s. Since the reorganization, the chapter has focused on recruiting Men of Principle and maintaining high chapter standards, which most recently have culminated in the chapter winning the Knox Award in 2012, the highest award a chapter can receive at the annual convention.
The Beta Nu Chapter of Beta Theta Pi is consistently one of the top Greek organizations on campus in terms of GPA and community involvement. Every brother is required to become a part of an on-campus organization, which aids in diversifying our brotherhood and expanding our reach both on campus and into the community of Clifton and Cincinnati.
April 8th, 2015 marks the 175th anniversary of the Founding of the Beta Nu Chapter of Beta Theta Pi at the University of Cincinnati.